PHOENIX — A Wednesday vote in the Senate saw a measure designed to require background checks on gun sales defeated and that was a good thing for the Second Amendment, a gun show owner said.
Crossroads of the West owner Bob Templeton said the amendment was unfairly targeting his show and gun opponents were selling the idea that criminals flock to gun shows to buy firearms.
“They have their own sources: Family members, straw purchasers, buying them on the street, etc. Criminals don’t like to hang out at our shows because of the heavy law enforcement presence,” he said.
Templeton said he was “moderately supportive” of universal background checks until it became clear that gun opponents were trying to use the shows at a scapegoat for their cause.
“We all want to keep guns away from people who would misuse them; criminals and the mentally ill,” he said. “It’s a very difficult task to come up with a solution.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again