PHOENIX — A Wednesday vote in the Senate saw a measure designed to require background checks on gun sales defeated and that was a good thing for the Second Amendment, a gun show owner said.
Crossroads of the West owner Bob Templeton said the amendment was unfairly targeting his show and gun opponents were selling the idea that criminals flock to gun shows to buy firearms.
“They have their own sources: Family members, straw purchasers, buying them on the street, etc. Criminals don’t like to hang out at our shows because of the heavy law enforcement presence,” he said.
Templeton said he was “moderately supportive” of universal background checks until it became clear that gun opponents were trying to use the shows at a scapegoat for their cause.
“We all want to keep guns away from people who would misuse them; criminals and the mentally ill,” he said. “It’s a very difficult task to come up with a solution.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development