PHOENIX — Patients at the Barrow’s Neurological Rehabilitation Center at St. Joseph’s Hospital will have a good memory from Wednesday after a special visitor stopped by.
Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Adam Eaton dropped in to sign autographs and visit with the patients.
Howard Gwynn is a rodeo worker from Yuma who sustained broken vertebrae and a bruised spine when his horse bucked him off. He said. his doctors tell him he faces one and a half years of rehab, but should make an “almost” complete recovery.
Howard Gwynn was glad Eaton stopped by.
“I enjoyed talking to him for sure,” he said. “But I am way more fortunate than a lot of people who are here. For those people in particular, I think it’s a very good thing that they do this.”
Gwynn is a rodeo worker from Yuma, Ariz., who sustained broken vertebrae and a bruised spine when his horse bucked him off. He said his doctors told him he faces one-and-a-half years of rehab, but should make an “almost” complete recovery.
Eaton is on the injured list with a strained UCL. After meeting with these patients, he said his problems seem petty.
“Every day that they get to walk, or step off on a box, it’s amazing,” he said. “We’re here worrying about money, or what may happen tomorrow and these people can’t even walk. It’s something special to come in here. I think that they’re doing more for me than I am for them, for sure.”
Eaton said he hopes to visit with these patients again. Next time, he hopes they’re visiting him at Chase Field, and that they’re fully recovered and enjoying a Diamondbacks game.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier