After U.S. senators blocked a recent provision that would require background checks for gun purchases, an angry Arizonan was escorted from the building for speaking her mind.
The Huffington Post reported that Patricia Maisch, a witness to the Tuscon shooting that left Arizona representative Gabrielle Giffords heavily wounded, told the U.S. Senate they should be ashamed of themselves for voting against a provision requiring background checks for gun sales.
During Jared Loughner’s assault on Gifford during her “Congress On Your Corner” event, Maisch was able to grab an ammunition clip away from Loughner after he was tackled by multiple bystanders.
After being escorted from the capital, Maisch continued to speak her mind to surrounding reporters.
“When I was told it was done, I decided that I could not stay still any longer, that they need to be ashamed of themselves,” she said. “They have no souls. They have no compassion for the experiences that people have lived through … [having] a child or loved one murdered by a gun. They say that it’s not the gun, it’s the man. I’m here to tell you … The man and the gun become intimate and they cannot do the act without each other. So the gun is part of the problem.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.