PHOENIX — The Bureau of Reclamation said Arizona could be pulling less water out of the Colorado River starting in 2016 if the Rocky Mountain snowpack doesn’t improve.
That snowpack feeds the Colorado River, which supplies water to 40 million users in seven western states, including Arizona. Rose Davis with the Bureau of Reclamation said the Central Arizona Project could see the first shortage in its history in three years.
“The CAP has been conserving water so they may have plans to deal with the upcoming projections.”
And if the dry years continue in the Rockies, Davis said there’s a “48 percent chance of lower basin water supply shortages.”
Under the current water agreements, Arizona receives about 10 times the amount of water that Nevada does from the Colorado River, while California’s share is more than both states combined. In the event of a shortage, both states would see reductions while California would not lose any of its allotment.
The trigger mechanism for declaring a water shortage is when Lake Mead water levels reach 1,075 feet. It came close in 2010 at 1,082 feet. Mead is at 1,114 feet.
The Central Arizona Project is designed to bring about 1.5 million acre-feet of Colorado River water per year to Pima, Pinal and Maricopa counties. It is a 336-mile long system of aqueducts, tunnels, pumping plants and pipelines and is the largest single resource of renewable water supplies in the state of Arizona.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food