PHOENIX — A number of Valley groups are forming an alliance to campaign to help find homes for animals.
The Alliance for Companion Animals is made up of animal rights groups and is funded in part by PetSmart Charities and the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust. It has started a three year, $6 million campaign called “Fix. Adopt. Save.”
“You’re going to be seeing ‘Fix. Adopt. Save’ everywhere around town,” said Bretta Nelson of the Arizona Humane Society. “We hope everyone starts taking the pledge to either adopt your next pet at a shelter, to spay-neuter, to foster.”
Nelson said hundreds of homeless animals go through the shelter.
“Right now, 100 pets are getting adopted per day, but 100 pets are getting euthanized a day, and we’re not OK with that anymore.”
Arizona Animal Welfare League President Judith Gardner said the effort will remind people to do three things.
“Number one, it will remind people to spay and neuter their pets, and to help us with free roaming cat colonies by spaying and neutering those, and helping by adopting their next pet or helping us foster puppies and kittens,” said Gardner.
Both Gardner and Nelson said that many people don’t spay and neuter their pets because of a misconception that it costs too much. The group’s website offers information on free or low-cost spaying and neutering services.
You can take the pledge at the group’s website, fixadoptsave.org.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development