PHOENIX — A number of Valley groups are forming an alliance to campaign to help find homes for animals.
The Alliance for Companion Animals is made up of animal rights groups and is funded in part by PetSmart Charities and the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust. It has started a three year, $6 million campaign called “Fix. Adopt. Save.”
“You’re going to be seeing ‘Fix. Adopt. Save’ everywhere around town,” said Bretta Nelson of the Arizona Humane Society. “We hope everyone starts taking the pledge to either adopt your next pet at a shelter, to spay-neuter, to foster.”
Nelson said hundreds of homeless animals go through the shelter.
“Right now, 100 pets are getting adopted per day, but 100 pets are getting euthanized a day, and we’re not OK with that anymore.”
Arizona Animal Welfare League President Judith Gardner said the effort will remind people to do three things.
“Number one, it will remind people to spay and neuter their pets, and to help us with free roaming cat colonies by spaying and neutering those, and helping by adopting their next pet or helping us foster puppies and kittens,” said Gardner.
Both Gardner and Nelson said that many people don’t spay and neuter their pets because of a misconception that it costs too much. The group’s website offers information on free or low-cost spaying and neutering services.
You can take the pledge at the group’s website, fixadoptsave.org.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.