PHOENIX — A number of Valley groups are forming an alliance to campaign to help find homes for animals.
The Alliance for Companion Animals is made up of animal rights groups and is funded in part by PetSmart Charities and the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust. It has started a three year, $6 million campaign called “Fix. Adopt. Save.”
“You’re going to be seeing ‘Fix. Adopt. Save’ everywhere around town,” said Bretta Nelson of the Arizona Humane Society. “We hope everyone starts taking the pledge to either adopt your next pet at a shelter, to spay-neuter, to foster.”
Nelson said hundreds of homeless animals go through the shelter.
“Right now, 100 pets are getting adopted per day, but 100 pets are getting euthanized a day, and we’re not OK with that anymore.”
Arizona Animal Welfare League President Judith Gardner said the effort will remind people to do three things.
“Number one, it will remind people to spay and neuter their pets, and to help us with free roaming cat colonies by spaying and neutering those, and helping by adopting their next pet or helping us foster puppies and kittens,” said Gardner.
Both Gardner and Nelson said that many people don’t spay and neuter their pets because of a misconception that it costs too much. The group’s website offers information on free or low-cost spaying and neutering services.
You can take the pledge at the group’s website, fixadoptsave.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets