PHOENIX — A number of Valley groups are forming an alliance to campaign to help find homes for animals.
The Alliance for Companion Animals is made up of animal rights groups and is funded in part by PetSmart Charities and the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust. It has started a three year, $6 million campaign called “Fix. Adopt. Save.”
“You’re going to be seeing ‘Fix. Adopt. Save’ everywhere around town,” said Bretta Nelson of the Arizona Humane Society. “We hope everyone starts taking the pledge to either adopt your next pet at a shelter, to spay-neuter, to foster.”
Nelson said hundreds of homeless animals go through the shelter.
“Right now, 100 pets are getting adopted per day, but 100 pets are getting euthanized a day, and we’re not OK with that anymore.”
Arizona Animal Welfare League President Judith Gardner said the effort will remind people to do three things.
“Number one, it will remind people to spay and neuter their pets, and to help us with free roaming cat colonies by spaying and neutering those, and helping by adopting their next pet or helping us foster puppies and kittens,” said Gardner.
Both Gardner and Nelson said that many people don’t spay and neuter their pets because of a misconception that it costs too much. The group’s website offers information on free or low-cost spaying and neutering services.
You can take the pledge at the group’s website, fixadoptsave.org.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever