PHOENIX — The run on ammunition across the nation is creating fallout for gun-related businesses in the Valley.
Dale Roddy with Desert Valley Firearms in Chandler said it has never been this difficult to keep his shelves stocked. He said ammunitions manufacturers have told him it will be at least nine months before they can return to full production.
The fear of tougher gun laws that started with the Newtown school shootings has caused ammo hoarding.
“The regular shooters come in wanting 9-millimeter rounds and we don’t have it, so that sends them off in a panic for other calibers like .45 and .223 so it has a ripple effect,” Roddy said.
Valley shooting ranges are feeling the bite of the ammo shortage too.
C 2 Tactical is Tempe’s first indoor shooting range. It opened last month and has less than six-months’ supply of ammo for customers. Owner Boe Bergeson said some manufacturers are telling him they’re done taking orders for the rest of the year.
“It’s frightening. We can sell it all daylong but our ability to replenish it is a huge unknown. If we can’t get ammo in stock we’ll be like a driving range with no golf balls. How fun is that?”
The range is limiting rounds to two boxes, per caliber, per person.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever