Make no mistake about it, school districts in the state of Arizona are competing for students.
According to ABC15.com schools are doing everything they can to attract both students and parents.
The Deer Valley Unified School District hosts focus groups aimed toward parents and charts what programs other districts are offering, while the Peoria Unified School District has developed social media sites to keep parents informed and engaged.
Arizona Charter Schools Association president Eileen Sigmund made light of the fact that parents have far more options these days when it comes to their children’s schooling.
“The past thought was, ‘I live in this ZIP code, therefore I have no choice,'” she said. “But parents now know they have options.”
Of late, charter schools have joined in on the educational competition. ABC15.com noted that more than 145,000 Arizona students attended charter schools in 2012, or nearly triple the number (54,000) that attended private schools.
Arizona School Boards Association communications director Tracey Benson explained that school districts are becoming more strategic and direct in trying to attract students.
“Word of mouth is really the most effective way to attract new families to your schools,” Benson said. “Parent outreach programs have become more important – engaging the parents you have so they can become ambassadors for your schools and districts.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night