Make no mistake about it, school districts in the state of Arizona are competing for students.
According to ABC15.com schools are doing everything they can to attract both students and parents.
The Deer Valley Unified School District hosts focus groups aimed toward parents and charts what programs other districts are offering, while the Peoria Unified School District has developed social media sites to keep parents informed and engaged.
Arizona Charter Schools Association president Eileen Sigmund made light of the fact that parents have far more options these days when it comes to their children’s schooling.
“The past thought was, ‘I live in this ZIP code, therefore I have no choice,'” she said. “But parents now know they have options.”
Of late, charter schools have joined in on the educational competition. ABC15.com noted that more than 145,000 Arizona students attended charter schools in 2012, or nearly triple the number (54,000) that attended private schools.
Arizona School Boards Association communications director Tracey Benson explained that school districts are becoming more strategic and direct in trying to attract students.
“Word of mouth is really the most effective way to attract new families to your schools,” Benson said. “Parent outreach programs have become more important – engaging the parents you have so they can become ambassadors for your schools and districts.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments