FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The third Planetary Defense Conference is in Flagstaff this week.
In attendance are scientists, engineers and policymakers from across the globe who are deciding how to deflect an asteroid and develop a civil defense response.
Assistant Professor David Trilling of Northern Arizona University’s Physics and Astronomy Department said this is the first such conference in Flagstaff. One of the major draws for the 300 participants is Meteor Crater, which conference participants will be taking a field trip to.
Although scientists will be hard at work to come up with a plan to protect Earth from another asteroid, such as the one that exploded over Russia earlier this year, the public was invited to two events during the conference.
The first was a discussion Sunday about what happened over Russia, the other is a lecture from Bill Nye, The Science Guy on April 17. The tickets for Nye were free, but were all gone within three hours.
“People all over the world have really now seen what happens when as asteroid hits the Earth and it’s very visceral. You can understand it. ‘I’ve seen this thing in the sky and the explosion’ and so on and there’s a lot of attention now,” Trilling said.
Although the conference is now full and events are sold out, people can watch via a live stream.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas