Participants at Pat’s Run will not be permitted to carry bags or backpacks at Saturday’s race, the Pat Tillman Foundation said in a statement.
Security for Pat’s Run, a popular Valley race, is set to be increased in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, police said.
“We’re going to be bringing in additional resources,” said Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley. “We want to make sure the public knows we are definitely taking this very seriously, but we want them to still come out, have a good time and not worry about anything.”
Pooley said Tempe police will be working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and bomb-sniffing dogs will be on the scene.
Tens of thousands of people are expected to participate in Pat’s Run.
In a statement, the Pat Tillman Foundation said it was monitoring the Boston situation closely.
The Pat Tillman Foundation is closely monitoring the tragic events that occurred today at the Boston Marathon. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families in the wake of this horrific incident. As we move forward for the 9th Annual Pat’s Run, the Tillman Foundation is working closely with the City of Tempe and Tempe Police, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Police Department and additional security to ensure the safety of all our runners and supporters on the ground this weekend. Increased security measures are being put into place as we move forward with the race.
Three people were killed and more than 170 were injured when two bombs were detonated near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas