Participants at Pat’s Run will not be permitted to carry bags or backpacks at Saturday’s race, the Pat Tillman Foundation said in a statement.
Security for Pat’s Run, a popular Valley race, is set to be increased in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, police said.
“We’re going to be bringing in additional resources,” said Tempe Police Sgt. Mike Pooley. “We want to make sure the public knows we are definitely taking this very seriously, but we want them to still come out, have a good time and not worry about anything.”
Pooley said Tempe police will be working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and bomb-sniffing dogs will be on the scene.
Tens of thousands of people are expected to participate in Pat’s Run.
In a statement, the Pat Tillman Foundation said it was monitoring the Boston situation closely.
The Pat Tillman Foundation is closely monitoring the tragic events that occurred today at the Boston Marathon. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families in the wake of this horrific incident. As we move forward for the 9th Annual Pat’s Run, the Tillman Foundation is working closely with the City of Tempe and Tempe Police, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Police Department and additional security to ensure the safety of all our runners and supporters on the ground this weekend. Increased security measures are being put into place as we move forward with the race.
Three people were killed and more than 170 were injured when two bombs were detonated near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them