PHOENIX — Community leaders met with the city of Phoenix Monday to map out plans to keep the Veterans Day Parade afloat.
According to a release, Mayor Greg Stanton explained that the parade in 2013 will be supported by Phoenix, which will partner with the event’s nonprofit Honoring Arizona Veterans.
“I am pleased to be able to say there will be a 2013 Phoenix Veterans Day Parade,” Stanton said. “Veterans are the pride of our community; they risked their lives for us. This parade is a Phoenix tradition to show our gratitude for our service men and women. I can’t imagine Veterans Day in our city without a show of thanks in this parade for our troops.”
The Veterans Affairs Department recently pulled the plug on sponsoring the parade because of “budget and liability issues.”
Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley is a Vietnam veteran and said returning troops were not always honored for their service.
“Being a Vietnam veteran I remember a time when we were not honored or recognized. This parade is extraordinarily important to veterans to take one day and have the community honor the service of so many involved in conflicts in so many eras.”
Phoenix leaders said sponsorship of the parade will cost the city about $85,000.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development