With terms of a comprehensive immigration reform deal on track to be released Tuesday, the ‘Gang of Eight’ senators — including Arizona Republicans John McCain and Jeff Flake — have agreed to a cutoff date regarding citizenship.
According to CNN.com, the bipartisan group has determined that any undocumented immigrant who entered the country after December 31, 2011 will not be considered for citizenship.
Under the measure, undocumented immigrants who meet the cutoff date will have access to a 13-year path to citizenship. The first 10 years are centered around working towards a green card, and the final three years are aimed at gaining citizenship.
To be eligible for citizenship, undocumented workers would also have to pay a fine/back taxes and take a background test.
The legislative measure, which is set to go before the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday, will also propose the creation of a border security evaluation system.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them