With terms of a comprehensive immigration reform deal on track to be released Tuesday, the ‘Gang of Eight’ senators — including Arizona Republicans John McCain and Jeff Flake — have agreed to a cutoff date regarding citizenship.
According to CNN.com, the bipartisan group has determined that any undocumented immigrant who entered the country after December 31, 2011 will not be considered for citizenship.
Under the measure, undocumented immigrants who meet the cutoff date will have access to a 13-year path to citizenship. The first 10 years are centered around working towards a green card, and the final three years are aimed at gaining citizenship.
To be eligible for citizenship, undocumented workers would also have to pay a fine/back taxes and take a background test.
The legislative measure, which is set to go before the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday, will also propose the creation of a border security evaluation system.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier