With terms of a comprehensive immigration reform deal on track to be released Tuesday, the ‘Gang of Eight’ senators — including Arizona Republicans John McCain and Jeff Flake — have agreed to a cutoff date regarding citizenship.
According to CNN.com, the bipartisan group has determined that any undocumented immigrant who entered the country after December 31, 2011 will not be considered for citizenship.
Under the measure, undocumented immigrants who meet the cutoff date will have access to a 13-year path to citizenship. The first 10 years are centered around working towards a green card, and the final three years are aimed at gaining citizenship.
To be eligible for citizenship, undocumented workers would also have to pay a fine/back taxes and take a background test.
The legislative measure, which is set to go before the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday, will also propose the creation of a border security evaluation system.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development