WINDOW ROCK — Navajo lawmakers are gathering in Window Rock on Monday for the start of their spring session.
Among the items they’ll consider is a lease extension for the coal-fired Navajo Generating Station in Page.
The Tribal Council has been divided on whether to approve a 25-year lease for the power plant that will expire in 2044. The agreement would increase annual payments to the Navajo Nation from $3 million to more than $40 million a year.
The plant’s operator, Salt River Project, says securing the lease extension is just one of many challenges facing the power plant.
Tribal lawmakers are scheduled to take up less than a dozen bills during the session.
They will formally adopt the agenda on Monday and then hear reports from the tribal president and council speaker.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them