PHOENIX — A Surprise angler has reeled in Arizona’s heaviest recorded fish.
State Game and Fish officials say 56-year-old Eddie “Flathead Ed” Wilcoxson was asleep on his 24-foot pontoon boat early Friday when a flathead catfish began taking drag at Bartlett Lake northwest of Phoenix.
About 35 minutes later, Wilcoxson boated what Game and Fish Department officials say is a nearly 77-pound flathead catfish.
It measured more than 53 inches in total length with a nearly 35-inch girth.
Officials say it’s the heaviest recorded fish of any species in state history, topping the 74-pound flathead catfish caught in 1988 out of the Colorado River,
Wilcoxson’s flathead beat the previous inland waters state record set in 2003 with a nearly 72-pound fathead caught at San Carlos Lake.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier