PHOENIX — Family and friends of 16-year-old Alexander Wilson, a suspect shot and killed by a DPS officer on Sunday, marched in downtown Phoenix Friday.
“He didn’t get a chance to say sorry. He didn’t get a chance to explain what was going on and that’s why we are out here,” said Brittney Jackson, a member of Wilson’s family.
Jackson criticized the officer for showing little restraint, saying the shooting death of Wilson was unnecessary.
DPS reports that Wilson, who had a felony warrant for his arrest, was stopped in a stolen vehicle. The officer ordered the young man out of the car, but instead according to police reports, Wilson revved the engine and drove at the cop. A single shot was fired, killing the teenager.
“Officers are not meant to be judges and jurors,” said Jackson. “There’s such as thing as a trial, there’s something called jail. There could have been a different way to handle the situation.”
Jackson disputes the statements by DPS on what transpired Sunday and claims a witness has a very different account of what happened that night.
“An officer is just a human being who makes mistakes and lies and tells the truth. I don’t consider his testimony of what happened any more important than the anonymous witness that came forward.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development