PHOENIX — Family and friends of 16-year-old Alexander Wilson, a suspect shot and killed by a DPS officer on Sunday, marched in downtown Phoenix Friday.
“He didn’t get a chance to say sorry. He didn’t get a chance to explain what was going on and that’s why we are out here,” said Brittney Jackson, a member of Wilson’s family.
Jackson criticized the officer for showing little restraint, saying the shooting death of Wilson was unnecessary.
DPS reports that Wilson, who had a felony warrant for his arrest, was stopped in a stolen vehicle. The officer ordered the young man out of the car, but instead according to police reports, Wilson revved the engine and drove at the cop. A single shot was fired, killing the teenager.
“Officers are not meant to be judges and jurors,” said Jackson. “There’s such as thing as a trial, there’s something called jail. There could have been a different way to handle the situation.”
Jackson disputes the statements by DPS on what transpired Sunday and claims a witness has a very different account of what happened that night.
“An officer is just a human being who makes mistakes and lies and tells the truth. I don’t consider his testimony of what happened any more important than the anonymous witness that came forward.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night