PHOENIX — Family and friends of 16-year-old Alexander Wilson, a suspect shot and killed by a DPS officer on Sunday, marched in downtown Phoenix Friday.
“He didn’t get a chance to say sorry. He didn’t get a chance to explain what was going on and that’s why we are out here,” said Brittney Jackson, a member of Wilson’s family.
Jackson criticized the officer for showing little restraint, saying the shooting death of Wilson was unnecessary.
DPS reports that Wilson, who had a felony warrant for his arrest, was stopped in a stolen vehicle. The officer ordered the young man out of the car, but instead according to police reports, Wilson revved the engine and drove at the cop. A single shot was fired, killing the teenager.
“Officers are not meant to be judges and jurors,” said Jackson. “There’s such as thing as a trial, there’s something called jail. There could have been a different way to handle the situation.”
Jackson disputes the statements by DPS on what transpired Sunday and claims a witness has a very different account of what happened that night.
“An officer is just a human being who makes mistakes and lies and tells the truth. I don’t consider his testimony of what happened any more important than the anonymous witness that came forward.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths