PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s Deputy Ruben Garcia doesn’t remember the shooting that has kept him off the job for months.
Garcia was responding to a domestic violence call Jan. 8 in Peoria when he shot multiple times in the face by a man in a pickup truck. The suspect, 54-year-old Donald Miller, died in a shootout later that night with Peoria police.
Garcia is recovering from his injuries. “My vision on my left eye is distorted,” he said. “I’m still taking pain medication for my jaw, which was reconstructed. The doctors and the medical staff were excellent. I’m still going through surgeries.”
But Friday he got the chance to publicly thank the man who saved his life at the same time Garcia was being honored by the department.
Andrew John Phelps, 20, heard a woman yelling that a deputy had been shot. Phelps had learned CPR at school, and went into action. “It was a very gruesome scene for me,” he said. “I definitely have stories to tell my grandchildren.”
Garcia’s story is ongoing. He said he is battling with bouts of depression but he hopes to get back on the job as soon as he’s able.
He is thankful for the support from his family and members of the community.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night