PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s Deputy Ruben Garcia doesn’t remember the shooting that has kept him off the job for months.
Garcia was responding to a domestic violence call Jan. 8 in Peoria when he shot multiple times in the face by a man in a pickup truck. The suspect, 54-year-old Donald Miller, died in a shootout later that night with Peoria police.
Garcia is recovering from his injuries. “My vision on my left eye is distorted,” he said. “I’m still taking pain medication for my jaw, which was reconstructed. The doctors and the medical staff were excellent. I’m still going through surgeries.”
But Friday he got the chance to publicly thank the man who saved his life at the same time Garcia was being honored by the department.
Andrew John Phelps, 20, heard a woman yelling that a deputy had been shot. Phelps had learned CPR at school, and went into action. “It was a very gruesome scene for me,” he said. “I definitely have stories to tell my grandchildren.”
Garcia’s story is ongoing. He said he is battling with bouts of depression but he hopes to get back on the job as soon as he’s able.
He is thankful for the support from his family and members of the community.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.