PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s Deputy Ruben Garcia doesn’t remember the shooting that has kept him off the job for months.
Garcia was responding to a domestic violence call Jan. 8 in Peoria when he shot multiple times in the face by a man in a pickup truck. The suspect, 54-year-old Donald Miller, died in a shootout later that night with Peoria police.
Garcia is recovering from his injuries. “My vision on my left eye is distorted,” he said. “I’m still taking pain medication for my jaw, which was reconstructed. The doctors and the medical staff were excellent. I’m still going through surgeries.”
But Friday he got the chance to publicly thank the man who saved his life at the same time Garcia was being honored by the department.
Andrew John Phelps, 20, heard a woman yelling that a deputy had been shot. Phelps had learned CPR at school, and went into action. “It was a very gruesome scene for me,” he said. “I definitely have stories to tell my grandchildren.”
Garcia’s story is ongoing. He said he is battling with bouts of depression but he hopes to get back on the job as soon as he’s able.
He is thankful for the support from his family and members of the community.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon