PHOENIX — Maricopa County Chief Deputy Jerry Sheridan says investigators
are trying to locate one person who may have been involved in mailing an
explosive package addressed to Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Sheridan says the package discovered in a northern Arizona mailbox would have
exploded if opened, leading to serious injuries or death.
The package intercepted Thursday had been left in a parcel locker that was part
of a multiple address mailbox in a rural part of Coconino County, outside
Flagstaff city limits. U.S. Postal Inspector Patricia Armstrong said authorities
were alerted by a “very astute” carrier who observed “something suspicious”
about the package.
Postal Inspector Patricia Armstrong said investigators were examining debris
from the package. “We don’t know if it was an actual device of some sort,” she
The sheriff’s office said Flagstaff police reported that the package
appeared suspicious so it was X-rayed and the device detected.
Sheridan says authorities used a water cannon to neutralize it.
Arpaio told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR on Friday, “This is nothing unusual for this sheriff, 21 years I’ve been having these threats. But they’re picking up a little.”
Tom Mangan, a spokesman in Phoenix for the
federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said initial
reports indicated that the package was a box that may have been damaged in
transit and leaked gunpowder.
A press release from the sheriff’s office said authorities in Flagstaff are
pursuing leads and three Maricopa deputies were dispatched to Flagstaff to
assist. Flagstaff is about 140 miles north of Phoenix.
Arapio, 80, couldn’t guess who was behind the threat.
“(There are) many different forces trying to take this sheriff down or intimidate me. … I’m a high-profile guy and I’m not going to back down. I’ll be around for many more years,” he told KTAR.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier