PHOENIX — Maricopa County Chief Deputy Jerry Sheridan says investigators
are trying to locate one person who may have been involved in mailing an
explosive package addressed to Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Sheridan says the package discovered in a northern Arizona mailbox would have
exploded if opened, leading to serious injuries or death.
The package intercepted Thursday had been left in a parcel locker that was part
of a multiple address mailbox in a rural part of Coconino County, outside
Flagstaff city limits. U.S. Postal Inspector Patricia Armstrong said authorities
were alerted by a “very astute” carrier who observed “something suspicious”
about the package.
Postal Inspector Patricia Armstrong said investigators were examining debris
from the package. “We don’t know if it was an actual device of some sort,” she
The sheriff’s office said Flagstaff police reported that the package
appeared suspicious so it was X-rayed and the device detected.
Sheridan says authorities used a water cannon to neutralize it.
Arpaio told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR on Friday, “This is nothing unusual for this sheriff, 21 years I’ve been having these threats. But they’re picking up a little.”
Tom Mangan, a spokesman in Phoenix for the
federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said initial
reports indicated that the package was a box that may have been damaged in
transit and leaked gunpowder.
A press release from the sheriff’s office said authorities in Flagstaff are
pursuing leads and three Maricopa deputies were dispatched to Flagstaff to
assist. Flagstaff is about 140 miles north of Phoenix.
Arapio, 80, couldn’t guess who was behind the threat.
“(There are) many different forces trying to take this sheriff down or intimidate me. … I’m a high-profile guy and I’m not going to back down. I’ll be around for many more years,” he told KTAR.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets