A mayday call. The call no firefighter wants to make or hear.
Honeywell’s Claire Miller said they have developed a device called the GLANSER, a device that could someday be standard issue for all firefighters.
“It’s designed to navigate airplanes and now it will navigate firefighters. The firefighters each wear a unit that communicates with each other and to commanders in the fire trucks.”
The device weighs eight pounds. It’s about the size of a loaf of bread. Phoenix Fire Captain Jeff Schripsema was among the first to put the device through its paces.
“We have no way of adequately knowing sometimes where we are at in a burning building. GPS doesn’t work. This will allow command officers to track exactly where we are.”
Brett Tarver was a Phoenix firefighter who died during a fire inside of a burning supermarket 12 years ago. He became lost in the heavy smoke and fire.
Phoenix Fire Battalion Chief Shelly Jamison has no doubt that Tarver would still be alive if the Honeywell device would have been part of the technology in 2001.
“We encountered him two to three times after he got lost. He announced he was lost and called a mayday. Crews found him but he was disoriented and turned away,” she said. “In the end, you’re sending other crews in to save him so it becomes even more dangerous. To have a layer of safety in place like the GLANSER can’t be beat.
There’s no timetable on when firefighters will be using the device on a permanent basis.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again