PHOENIX, Ariz.– A mother of one of the victims of the Aurora, Colo., shooting is pushing Congress to act now and pass gun control bills.
Sandy Phillips’ daughter, Jessica Ghawi, was killed in the theater shooting last summer, just days after she narrowly escaped a Toronto mall shooting.
Phillips said it was time to cool off the political infighting.
“It has become a political issue because there are people pushing that agenda,” she said. “This is a public safety issue. I do not want to believe this country is as divided as people pretend it is. We’re not far left or far right. It’s not just red states, blue states or even purple states. We’re people.”
Phillips has called for universal background checks on all gun sales along with a ban on assault rifles and extended ammunition magazines.
Her husband, Lonnie, said that they are seeking common sense gun legislation.
“That’s all we’re asking for,” he explained. “Something needs to come out of Aurora, Columbine, Newtown, Virginia Tech and Tucson. People need to start standing up.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon