PHOENIX, Ariz.– A mother of one of the victims of the Aurora, Colo., shooting is pushing Congress to act now and pass gun control bills.
Sandy Phillips’ daughter, Jessica Ghawi, was killed in the theater shooting last summer, just days after she narrowly escaped a Toronto mall shooting.
Phillips said it was time to cool off the political infighting.
“It has become a political issue because there are people pushing that agenda,” she said. “This is a public safety issue. I do not want to believe this country is as divided as people pretend it is. We’re not far left or far right. It’s not just red states, blue states or even purple states. We’re people.”
Phillips has called for universal background checks on all gun sales along with a ban on assault rifles and extended ammunition magazines.
Her husband, Lonnie, said that they are seeking common sense gun legislation.
“That’s all we’re asking for,” he explained. “Something needs to come out of Aurora, Columbine, Newtown, Virginia Tech and Tucson. People need to start standing up.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America