PHOENIX, Ariz.– A mother of one of the victims of the Aurora, Colo., shooting is pushing Congress to act now and pass gun control bills.
Sandy Phillips’ daughter, Jessica Ghawi, was killed in the theater shooting last summer, just days after she narrowly escaped a Toronto mall shooting.
Phillips said it was time to cool off the political infighting.
“It has become a political issue because there are people pushing that agenda,” she said. “This is a public safety issue. I do not want to believe this country is as divided as people pretend it is. We’re not far left or far right. It’s not just red states, blue states or even purple states. We’re people.”
Phillips has called for universal background checks on all gun sales along with a ban on assault rifles and extended ammunition magazines.
Her husband, Lonnie, said that they are seeking common sense gun legislation.
“That’s all we’re asking for,” he explained. “Something needs to come out of Aurora, Columbine, Newtown, Virginia Tech and Tucson. People need to start standing up.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night