PHOENIX — Arizona State Sen. Steve Smith will soon unveil his plans to build a better border fence, using money raised through private donations.
Smith started racking up money two years ago at buildtheborderfence.com. The site lists $193,000 has been collected online out of a total of about $300,000. Smith will spend the money to plug gaps in fence coverage, including areas where there is no fence at all or have only barbed wire and logs.
“Believe it or not we can do significant mileage coverage, and I put significant mileage coverage anywhere between five and ten miles,” Smith said.
Smith said he wants to start building the fence in the Tucson sector, which accounts for the majority of illegal crossings and drug trafficking in the United States.
“I think once we implement what we’re doing it can be easily copied, and frankly I think at a fraction of the cost of what we see our federal government do,” Smith said.
The plan is close to being finalized, according to Smith. The details should be disclosed in the coming weeks after a legal review is complete.
Smith hopes to begin construction by the end of the year.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food