PHOENIX — Jeremy Langlois didn’t start his hockey career on the frozen ponds of the Midwest. Instead, he began playing on Rollerblades in the streets of his Tempe neighborhood.
These days, Langlois plays under a much brighter spotlight at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut. Now a 22-year-old senior, he’s the team’s top scorer, leading the Bobcats to their first Frozen Four, the equivalent of college basketball’s Final Four.
“After the Coyotes moved to Phoenix in ’96, I picked up ice hockey around the age of seven or eight,” Langlois said.
He didn’t play organized ice hockey until he was 9, when he entered a youth league at Polar Ice Chandler.
“I get a lot of ‘huhs?’ when I tell people I’m from Arizona. They usually say, ‘They don’t play hockey there,’ ” he said.
Langlois hopes to change the Valley’s reputation as not being a hockey town. He’ll have a little help Thursday night, when he faces off against childhood friend Joey Holka, who plays for St. Cloud State University in Minnesota.
The puck drops at 5 p.m. on ESPN2.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon