PHOENIX — Jeremy Langlois didn’t start his hockey career on the frozen ponds of the Midwest. Instead, he began playing on Rollerblades in the streets of his Tempe neighborhood.
These days, Langlois plays under a much brighter spotlight at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut. Now a 22-year-old senior, he’s the team’s top scorer, leading the Bobcats to their first Frozen Four, the equivalent of college basketball’s Final Four.
“After the Coyotes moved to Phoenix in ’96, I picked up ice hockey around the age of seven or eight,” Langlois said.
He didn’t play organized ice hockey until he was 9, when he entered a youth league at Polar Ice Chandler.
“I get a lot of ‘huhs?’ when I tell people I’m from Arizona. They usually say, ‘They don’t play hockey there,’ ” he said.
Langlois hopes to change the Valley’s reputation as not being a hockey town. He’ll have a little help Thursday night, when he faces off against childhood friend Joey Holka, who plays for St. Cloud State University in Minnesota.
The puck drops at 5 p.m. on ESPN2.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night