PHOENIX — The White House wants Congress to approve a nearly $18 billion budget for space exploration. Scientists at the University of Arizona are taking the lead in that mission.
Dante Lauretta, the mission’s main investigator and faculty member at Arizona’s Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, said they’re building the spacecraft they’ll use to go to space in 2016.
“Survey that asteroid extensively, ultimately send the spacecraft to the surface, grab a sample and then bring that sample back to earth,” Lauretta said.
Lauretta said the asteroid, called the RQ36, is over 4.5 billion years old. He said there’s a chance it could collide with earth.
“We want to understand its orbit, where it’s going to be in the future, what it’s made out of and use that information to inform any kind of deflection mission that might be needed,” Lauretta said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.