PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. — A Valley community wants to honor the creator of “The Family Circus” cartoon strip.
Cartoonist Bil Keane was an important part of Paradise Valley.
“The comic strip ‘Family Circus’ was born in his house at the base of Mummy Mountain,” said former Vice Mayor Mary Hamway. “He loved this area. He loved waking up every day to the mountain. He just loved our community.”
Keane died in 2011 at the age of 89. To honor their dad, Keane’s two sons created a small statue of their dad and his cartoon characters that now sits in the post office inside the Paradise Valley Town Hall.
“What they’ve done is taken a concept that was very consistent in some of Bil Keane’s comics. That is the dad giving the children a piggy back ride,” Hamway said. “The name of the statue is ‘Giddy Up Daddy.'”
Now, Hamway is leading an effort to unveil a nine-foot tall version of the statue as part of Bil Keane celebration that will be a permanent memorial somewhere on the town hall grounds.
Paradise Valley needs $75,000 to do it and recently got a big boost: It received a $20,000 donation from Manya Long, the daughter of the late Valley developer John F. Long, who was a fan of the comic strip.
“The comic strip was a part of her life growing up,” said Hamway. “She thought this was a wonderful way to honor her parents.”
Hamway is hoping to unveil the memorial on Nov. 8 to coincide with the two-year anniversary of Keane’s death. To accomplish that, the town needs to raise all of the money by April 30.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them