PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. — A Valley community wants to honor the creator of “The Family Circus” cartoon strip.
Cartoonist Bil Keane was an important part of Paradise Valley.
“The comic strip ‘Family Circus’ was born in his house at the base of Mummy Mountain,” said former Vice Mayor Mary Hamway. “He loved this area. He loved waking up every day to the mountain. He just loved our community.”
Keane died in 2011 at the age of 89. To honor their dad, Keane’s two sons created a small statue of their dad and his cartoon characters that now sits in the post office inside the Paradise Valley Town Hall.
“What they’ve done is taken a concept that was very consistent in some of Bil Keane’s comics. That is the dad giving the children a piggy back ride,” Hamway said. “The name of the statue is ‘Giddy Up Daddy.'”
Now, Hamway is leading an effort to unveil a nine-foot tall version of the statue as part of Bil Keane celebration that will be a permanent memorial somewhere on the town hall grounds.
Paradise Valley needs $75,000 to do it and recently got a big boost: It received a $20,000 donation from Manya Long, the daughter of the late Valley developer John F. Long, who was a fan of the comic strip.
“The comic strip was a part of her life growing up,” said Hamway. “She thought this was a wonderful way to honor her parents.”
Hamway is hoping to unveil the memorial on Nov. 8 to coincide with the two-year anniversary of Keane’s death. To accomplish that, the town needs to raise all of the money by April 30.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck