President Barack Obama released his new budget plan on Wednesday, but one Arizona lawmaker said it was nothing but a political move.
“The problem that’s happened here is that a lot of these budgets have become a political document instead of a management document,” Rep. David Schweikert told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck on Wednesday.
Schweikert went on to say that, not only does the math set forth in Obama’s plan fail to add up, but it seems to be pulling numbers out of thin air, especially when it comes to budget cuts.
“He’s taking credit for things that have already happened or spending that isn’t going to occur or wasn’t going to occur, so it’s part of the game here in D.C.”
When it comes to the toughest topic to discuss, Schweikert said America needs to take a look at Medicare.
“Medicare is in real trouble. The trust fund, in the next three years, basically runs out. It’s gone.”
After that fund runs dry, Schweikert said Medicare will be funded by active contributions and the general fund, essentially not leaving a lot for the younger generation. And when you factor in the national debt, that situation gets even worse.
“We are just destroying young people’s future,” he said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths