PHOENIX — The sheriff of an Arizona county on the border with Mexico is calling for a U.S. ban on assault weapons.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada knows his views won’t be popular, he knows he is the odd man out, but he has come out strongly in support of a ban on assault weapons, extended ammunition magazines.
It goes too far when you’re arming people with assault rifles. Next time it will be bazookas and tanks. Where will it stop. I don’t believe we’re in jeopardy of losing our rights to be armed. It’s a matter of deciding if we want to arm people with weapons of mass destruction.”
Estrada said his county’s proximity to the Mexican border is another concern with assault rifles. Many of the Mexican drug smugglers are getting their hands on assault rifles courtesy of Americans, who are selling them to cartels despite the brutal drug war south of the border that has left thousands dead.
Several other Arizona sheriffs see things a little differently.
In the neighboring county, Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu says “guns are not the problem, this is largely a mental health issue. Any new regulation or law restricting ownership of guns will only impact law abiding gun owners and not the mass murderers that carry out horrific crimes.”
Estrada also said he is in favor of universal background checks, something Mohave County Sheriff Rom Sheahan disagrees with.
“Universal background checks and a ban on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines is a feel-good measure by anti-gun political leaders in D.C. who are trying to pacify their base. These measures would not have prevented the mass shootings in Tucson, Aurora or Newtown. Enforcing the ban would be impossible and my deputies will not be in the business of taking guns away from law-abiding owners.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.