PHOENIX — The sheriff of an Arizona county on the border with Mexico is calling for a U.S. ban on assault weapons.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada knows his views won’t be popular, he knows he is the odd man out, but he has come out strongly in support of a ban on assault weapons, extended ammunition magazines.
It goes too far when you’re arming people with assault rifles. Next time it will be bazookas and tanks. Where will it stop. I don’t believe we’re in jeopardy of losing our rights to be armed. It’s a matter of deciding if we want to arm people with weapons of mass destruction.”
Estrada said his county’s proximity to the Mexican border is another concern with assault rifles. Many of the Mexican drug smugglers are getting their hands on assault rifles courtesy of Americans, who are selling them to cartels despite the brutal drug war south of the border that has left thousands dead.
Several other Arizona sheriffs see things a little differently.
In the neighboring county, Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu says “guns are not the problem, this is largely a mental health issue. Any new regulation or law restricting ownership of guns will only impact law abiding gun owners and not the mass murderers that carry out horrific crimes.”
Estrada also said he is in favor of universal background checks, something Mohave County Sheriff Rom Sheahan disagrees with.
“Universal background checks and a ban on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines is a feel-good measure by anti-gun political leaders in D.C. who are trying to pacify their base. These measures would not have prevented the mass shootings in Tucson, Aurora or Newtown. Enforcing the ban would be impossible and my deputies will not be in the business of taking guns away from law-abiding owners.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick