PHOENIX — A Paris judge will decide Thursday whether to block the sale of 70 “sacred objects” of Hopi origin by a French auction house.
The sacred objects date back to the 1930s. At least one of the objects was likely stolen by a French citizen who was visiting the Hopi Tribe. Hopi Chairman LeRoy Shingoitewa said the objects are central to the spirituality of the Hopi and putting a price tag on them is beyond offensive.
“When somebody asked if we would go bid on these articles, we said this isn’t how we do things,” he said. “These have no pricetag for our beliefs.”
About 18,000 members of the Hopi Tribe live in northern Arizona and this is where the sacred objects belong, according to Shingoitewa.
“What is being viewed as auction in France is sacrilege to what the Hopi belief is and this is very disturbing.”
The Hopi prefer to call the items “sacred objects” because terms such as “artifact” as considered highly offensive.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.