PHOENIX — A Paris judge will decide Thursday whether to block the sale of 70 “sacred objects” of Hopi origin by a French auction house.
The sacred objects date back to the 1930s. At least one of the objects was likely stolen by a French citizen who was visiting the Hopi Tribe. Hopi Chairman LeRoy Shingoitewa said the objects are central to the spirituality of the Hopi and putting a price tag on them is beyond offensive.
“When somebody asked if we would go bid on these articles, we said this isn’t how we do things,” he said. “These have no pricetag for our beliefs.”
About 18,000 members of the Hopi Tribe live in northern Arizona and this is where the sacred objects belong, according to Shingoitewa.
“What is being viewed as auction in France is sacrilege to what the Hopi belief is and this is very disturbing.”
The Hopi prefer to call the items “sacred objects” because terms such as “artifact” as considered highly offensive.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life