PHOENIX — The calls for background checks by anti-gun proponents are unfairly targeting gun shows, the owner of Crossroads of the West said.
Bob Templeton said gun opponents want people to believe that anybody and everybody walks into gun shows and leaves with firearms, no questions asked and no background check. But it’s untrue.
“Most of the gun sales at the shows are by licensed dealers that are required to do background checks, which they do,” he said.
Templeton said the Justice Department found that less than 1 percent of the guns used in crimes come from gun shows.
“Because of the large law enforcement presence we have at the shows from federal, state and local, the criminals pretty much avoid the gun shows,” he said. “Criminals do not use the system. They have their own channels for getting guns from relatives or buying the firearms on the streets.”
Gun shows have been a longtime target for gun opponents and, according to Templeton, it’s just another excuse for anti-gun politicians to restrict and regulate gun rights and “sadly, they’re trying to capitalize on the Sandy Hook school shooting tragedy in Newtown, Conn.”
Templeton said he doesn’t believe Congress will pass legislation requiring universal background checks.
The next Crossroads show in Phoenix is set for April 20 and April 21 at the Arizona State Fairgrounds.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food