PHOENIX — The calls for background checks by anti-gun proponents are unfairly targeting gun shows, the owner of Crossroads of the West said.
Bob Templeton said gun opponents want people to believe that anybody and everybody walks into gun shows and leaves with firearms, no questions asked and no background check. But it’s untrue.
“Most of the gun sales at the shows are by licensed dealers that are required to do background checks, which they do,” he said.
Templeton said the Justice Department found that less than 1 percent of the guns used in crimes come from gun shows.
“Because of the large law enforcement presence we have at the shows from federal, state and local, the criminals pretty much avoid the gun shows,” he said. “Criminals do not use the system. They have their own channels for getting guns from relatives or buying the firearms on the streets.”
Gun shows have been a longtime target for gun opponents and, according to Templeton, it’s just another excuse for anti-gun politicians to restrict and regulate gun rights and “sadly, they’re trying to capitalize on the Sandy Hook school shooting tragedy in Newtown, Conn.”
Templeton said he doesn’t believe Congress will pass legislation requiring universal background checks.
The next Crossroads show in Phoenix is set for April 20 and April 21 at the Arizona State Fairgrounds.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas