PHOENIX — Former Phoenix Police officer Levi Bolton is a supporter of universal background checks but also believes that those checks are not the ultimate answer to stopping gun violence.
Bolton was on the force for 32 years and represents 13,000 Arizona police officers as executive director of the the local law enforcement association. Closing the so-called gun show loophole with background checks is not the ultimate answer to stopping gun violence, he said.
“There’s no single thing we can do to bring about the kind of overall safety that is being envisioned or talked about. While it’s lofty and something we should be working toward, I don’t know practically how you would get there.”
Bolton said someone who is hell-bent on carrying out an act of gun violence will do just that, regardless of tougher gun laws.
“The one dynamic that no one wants to talk about is most of these people came there to die. So what deterrent can you impose when someone came there knowing that they would be among the casualties and that was part of the equation.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon