PHOENIX — Former Phoenix Police officer Levi Bolton is a supporter of universal background checks but also believes that those checks are not the ultimate answer to stopping gun violence.
Bolton was on the force for 32 years and represents 13,000 Arizona police officers as executive director of the the local law enforcement association. Closing the so-called gun show loophole with background checks is not the ultimate answer to stopping gun violence, he said.
“There’s no single thing we can do to bring about the kind of overall safety that is being envisioned or talked about. While it’s lofty and something we should be working toward, I don’t know practically how you would get there.”
Bolton said someone who is hell-bent on carrying out an act of gun violence will do just that, regardless of tougher gun laws.
“The one dynamic that no one wants to talk about is most of these people came there to die. So what deterrent can you impose when someone came there knowing that they would be among the casualties and that was part of the equation.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments