PHOENIX — The lawsuit that put national attention on the Deer Valley School District for putting a 7-year-old boy in a padded room last year is nearly settled.
The Noyes family sued the district after discovering their child was put in a “seclusion room” for hours without their knowledge.
The case sparked new legislation, forcing schools to get written approval from parents before they used the rooms.
That’s not the only way schools can punish students if they’re acting out.
According to the Center for Effective Discipline, Arizona is one of 19 states still allows corporal punishment.
“Right now, according to the Arizona legislature, corporal punishment is allowed,” said Hope Kirsch, a lawyer representing the Noyes.
While the family’s lawsuit shed light on seclusion rooms, it did not fully protect students from corporal punishment.
That’s because Arizona leaves it up to each district’s governing board.
“Every governing board can have a policy on corporal punishment. In other words, you can have corporal punishment. There’s no prohibition against it,” said Kirsch.
Kirsch said, effectively, it’s up to the parents to call their district and ask exactly how their child’s school disciplines students.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them