PHOENIX — The recent cold front and blustery days could push the infection rate for Valley fever as high as 1 in 30 Phoenix residents, a Valley doctor said.
In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control said Arizona saw a record 16,000 diagnosed Valley fever cases. But Dr. John Galgiani, medical director of the University of Arizona Valley Fever Center at St. Joseph’s Hospital, believes the number of people infected was much higher.
“It’s part of the territory here. Anywhere you live has risks,” he said.
Despite the prevalence of Valley fever, few of those infected may display symptoms. Two out of three people infected do not get sick.
“The common symptoms in most cases are pneumonia, chest pain, cough, fever and fatigue.”
Galgiani said the only way to build immunity to Valley Fever is being infected.
“It’s not repetitive exposure. If you do get infected, you may or may not get sick. Most people get over the illness and from that point on you’re probably immune from a second infection for life.”
Galgiani said it can take weeks or months to make a full recovery from the fungal infection.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food