PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed legislation last week that allows operation of a brewery and winery on the same land and a pair of Arizona sisters will be the first to take advantage.
Megan Haller and Shannon Zouzoulas of Arizona Hops and Vines in Sonoita, Ariz. were the first to commercially grow hops in the state for beer and now will be the first to run a combo brewery-winery.
“I’ve had four people contact me that are opening breweries or wineries and wanted to do both,” said Zouzoulas. “They’re all excited. We’re moving forward and driving this industry.”
Zouzoulas said their first beer, an India Pale Ale, will be called “The Shooter” in honor of Sen. Don Shooter, who helped push legislation through that helped end the restriction on running a brewery and winery together.
“We’re applying for the license which should take about 120 days to approve, so we’re looking at fall to start brewing operations.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon