PHOENIX — More schools are dropping cursive lessons because more states no longer require them.
Arizona State University teaching professor Steve Graham sayid there are no definitive studies that prove cursive makes students smarter so it makes sense for schools to choose either print or cursive.
“We already have a crowded curriculum and one thing that’s easy to let go is something that duplicates another skill. We don’t really need to teach both.”
But at Gethsemane Lutheran School in Tempe, students start learning the script in first grade and when they reach Karen Einspeahr’s fifth grade classroom, “it’s just part of every subject.”
Einspeahr said her students who write cursive actually type more fluently and quickly than if they were only using print handwriting.
Arizona does not require public schools to teach cursive, but schools and districts can choose to do so.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food