PHOENIX — A National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals study found that Hispanic home ownership jumped by almost 60 percent nationally from 2000 to 2012.
In that same time span, the population of non-Hispanic U.S. homeowners only increased 0.7 percent.
“It’s increasing, the power of buying,” said Martha Navarro, a realtor with Home Smart in Phoenix. “Not only housing, but everything in general.”
Navarro said for many in the Hispanic community, owning a home is the first step in the American dream.
“They believe that buying a home is the pathway to get at family wealth.”
There were 9 million Hispanic households in the U.S. in 2000. Last year, that number was at 15.5 million.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas