PHOENIX — As blowing dust rolls through the Valley and much of Arizona Monday, the Arizona Department of Transportation is reminding drivers to stay safe on the roads.
“Put your car in park, turn the lights all the way off, keep your foot off the brake pedal and simply just wait out the dust storm,” Dustin Krugel with ADOT said.
The National Weather Service has a blowing dust and high wind advisory in effect for much of the state through 8 p.m.
Dust is expected to be the worst on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Casa Grande.
High winds are also expected on Interstate 8 in southern Arizona and Interstate 40 in northern Arizona.
Krugel also suggests drivers tie down large loads so that objects don’t fly out and cause road hazards.
He said delaying travel is sometimes the best idea.
Some additional tips for safe driving can be found at Azdot.gov.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development