PHOENIX — As blowing dust rolls through the Valley and much of Arizona Monday, the Arizona Department of Transportation is reminding drivers to stay safe on the roads.
“Put your car in park, turn the lights all the way off, keep your foot off the brake pedal and simply just wait out the dust storm,” Dustin Krugel with ADOT said.
The National Weather Service has a blowing dust and high wind advisory in effect for much of the state through 8 p.m.
Dust is expected to be the worst on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Casa Grande.
High winds are also expected on Interstate 8 in southern Arizona and Interstate 40 in northern Arizona.
Krugel also suggests drivers tie down large loads so that objects don’t fly out and cause road hazards.
He said delaying travel is sometimes the best idea.
Some additional tips for safe driving can be found at Azdot.gov.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier