PHOENIX — As blowing dust rolls through the Valley and much of Arizona Monday, the Arizona Department of Transportation is reminding drivers to stay safe on the roads.
“Put your car in park, turn the lights all the way off, keep your foot off the brake pedal and simply just wait out the dust storm,” Dustin Krugel with ADOT said.
The National Weather Service has a blowing dust and high wind advisory in effect for much of the state through 8 p.m.
Dust is expected to be the worst on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Casa Grande.
High winds are also expected on Interstate 8 in southern Arizona and Interstate 40 in northern Arizona.
Krugel also suggests drivers tie down large loads so that objects don’t fly out and cause road hazards.
He said delaying travel is sometimes the best idea.
Some additional tips for safe driving can be found at Azdot.gov.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night