PHOENIX — Many people find that driving to and from work is a hassle every day.
Members of the group Phoenix Spokes People think that drivers who clog up Valley freeways every morning “aren’t stuck in traffic. They are the traffic.”
The group has hundreds of members on its Facebook page who have decided to park their cars and peddle to work on their bikes. Karen Voyer-Caravona makes the two mile commute in Phoenix.
“It’s not hard,” she said. “Especially when you combine it with public transit, it really becomes easy. It’s not just, ‘Ugh, this hassle of having to get into my car.’ I’m getting my exercise at the same time.”
Lisa Parks is an interior designer who has to drive for her job but that may change.
“I’m actually considering changing my career so that I can work closer to where I live and get rid of a car and either take the light rail or take my bike everywhere.”
Anna Worble totaled her car in a recent accident. Instead of buying a new one, she’s decided to ride her bike. She said she’s saving money and getting good exercise.
“When I’m biking everyday, I feel better, I look better, I’m stronger and I’m more flexible,” she said.
The group wants the Phoenix City Council to find more money in the budget to improve bike lanes and bike paths in the city.
The group meets at 5 p.m. on the first Sunday of every month at Angel’s Trumpet Ale House in downtown Phoenix.
“All are welcome. You don’t have to own a bike,” said Worble. “You just have to show up, and you have to give a damn.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development