PHOENIX — Many people find that driving to and from work is a hassle every day.
Members of the group Phoenix Spokes People think that drivers who clog up Valley freeways every morning “aren’t stuck in traffic. They are the traffic.”
The group has hundreds of members on its Facebook page who have decided to park their cars and peddle to work on their bikes. Karen Voyer-Caravona makes the two mile commute in Phoenix.
“It’s not hard,” she said. “Especially when you combine it with public transit, it really becomes easy. It’s not just, ‘Ugh, this hassle of having to get into my car.’ I’m getting my exercise at the same time.”
Lisa Parks is an interior designer who has to drive for her job but that may change.
“I’m actually considering changing my career so that I can work closer to where I live and get rid of a car and either take the light rail or take my bike everywhere.”
Anna Worble totaled her car in a recent accident. Instead of buying a new one, she’s decided to ride her bike. She said she’s saving money and getting good exercise.
“When I’m biking everyday, I feel better, I look better, I’m stronger and I’m more flexible,” she said.
The group wants the Phoenix City Council to find more money in the budget to improve bike lanes and bike paths in the city.
The group meets at 5 p.m. on the first Sunday of every month at Angel’s Trumpet Ale House in downtown Phoenix.
“All are welcome. You don’t have to own a bike,” said Worble. “You just have to show up, and you have to give a damn.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths