An Arizona lawmaker said that it may be time for state representatives to wear protective vests.
According to Talking Points Memo, Rep. Bob Thorpe, R-District 6, emailed Arizona House and Senate members Thursday inviting them to attend the April 10 event at the capitol about bullet-proof vests. A company known as Arizona Tactical will address the topic from a sales perspective.
Thorpe said in his email that body armor could be a necessity at public venues considering the aftermath of the Tucson, Ariz., shooting involving Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.
In the wake of Tucson shooting, I have been researching body armor in order to inform our members about the costs and options for those wishing to purchase a vest for their personal use, for example, at town halls, parades and other public events. These vests have prices ranging from about $600 – $800, and options that include their weight and comfort, bullet stopping ability and colors. Just like our police and DPS officers, you typically wear the vest under a shirt or top, which conceals their use.
However, other legislators such as Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-District 16, explained Friday that wearing protective vests would simply add fear and personal paranoia rather than serve the public.
“It’s just a fantasy world that a lot of these legislators, particularly Republicans, are living in, that they’re going to be wearing body armor and they want to arm themselves and, you know, thinking that they can somehow be Rambo,” Gallego told TPM by phone.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.