A mother from Robinson Township, Pa., decided it was time children with disabilities be provided a sense of uniqueness in the form of look-alike dolls.
According to ABC News, 49-year-old Connie Feda launched Dolls for Downs in 2010. However, none of the 16 available doll designs resembled her 13-year-old daughter, Hannah, who suffers from Down syndrome.
That’s when Feda found Karen Scott, a doll sculptor from Michigan. The two created a doll that resembled Hannah after sharing design concepts for six months.
Feda explained the dolls have been designed to help the motor skills of kids with Down syndrome. At $75 apiece, each doll personally portrays the individual’s personal characteristics.
“We’re trying to say, ‘Look, none of us are the same. No one aspect of what you are or who you are defines who you are as a person,'” Feda said. “In general, people with disabilities are dismissed and their personhood is diminished because people don’t look at them as a person first.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development