A mother from Robinson Township, Pa., decided it was time children with disabilities be provided a sense of uniqueness in the form of look-alike dolls.
According to ABC News, 49-year-old Connie Feda launched Dolls for Downs in 2010. However, none of the 16 available doll designs resembled her 13-year-old daughter, Hannah, who suffers from Down syndrome.
That’s when Feda found Karen Scott, a doll sculptor from Michigan. The two created a doll that resembled Hannah after sharing design concepts for six months.
Feda explained the dolls have been designed to help the motor skills of kids with Down syndrome. At $75 apiece, each doll personally portrays the individual’s personal characteristics.
“We’re trying to say, ‘Look, none of us are the same. No one aspect of what you are or who you are defines who you are as a person,'” Feda said. “In general, people with disabilities are dismissed and their personhood is diminished because people don’t look at them as a person first.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets