PHOENIX — Gun-control supporters delivered more than 150,000 signed petitions to the Phoenix office of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) Friday morning.
Among the dozens of people calling for universal background checks and bans on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines were Tom and Caren Teves, of Phoenix. Their son Alex was killed in the Colorado theater massacre last year.
Flake was out of the office, which is near 24th Street and Camelback Road. Staffers accepted the petitions.
Tom Teves refuses to mention the name of the man who killed his son using a weapon of war. Teves said his son would have likely survived if the shooter hadn’t been armed with an extended-ammo clip.
“He could fire so many bullets in such a short time. My son was pinned down and protecting his girlfriend,” Teves said.
Sandy and Lonnie Phillips of San Antonio lost their daughter Jessica Gawhi Redfield in the massacre.
Lonnie Phillips had hoped for a man-to-man chat with Flake. It didn’t happen but he said Flake should be impacted when he see the petitions.
“I don’t know what kind of man he is. He might fluff it off. But if he’s any type of man he will take heed.”
Sandy Phillips said she’s not disappointed or surprised that Flake wasn’t there.
“Because our leaders take the easy way out whenever they can.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development