PHOENIX — Gun-control supporters delivered more than 150,000 signed petitions to the Phoenix office of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) Friday morning.
Among the dozens of people calling for universal background checks and bans on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines were Tom and Caren Teves, of Phoenix. Their son Alex was killed in the Colorado theater massacre last year.
Flake was out of the office, which is near 24th Street and Camelback Road. Staffers accepted the petitions.
Tom Teves refuses to mention the name of the man who killed his son using a weapon of war. Teves said his son would have likely survived if the shooter hadn’t been armed with an extended-ammo clip.
“He could fire so many bullets in such a short time. My son was pinned down and protecting his girlfriend,” Teves said.
Sandy and Lonnie Phillips of San Antonio lost their daughter Jessica Gawhi Redfield in the massacre.
Lonnie Phillips had hoped for a man-to-man chat with Flake. It didn’t happen but he said Flake should be impacted when he see the petitions.
“I don’t know what kind of man he is. He might fluff it off. But if he’s any type of man he will take heed.”
Sandy Phillips said she’s not disappointed or surprised that Flake wasn’t there.
“Because our leaders take the easy way out whenever they can.”
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise