PHOENIX — Gun-control supporters delivered more than 150,000 signed petitions to the Phoenix office of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) Friday morning.
Among the dozens of people calling for universal background checks and bans on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines were Tom and Caren Teves, of Phoenix. Their son Alex was killed in the Colorado theater massacre last year.
Flake was out of the office, which is near 24th Street and Camelback Road. Staffers accepted the petitions.
Tom Teves refuses to mention the name of the man who killed his son using a weapon of war. Teves said his son would have likely survived if the shooter hadn’t been armed with an extended-ammo clip.
“He could fire so many bullets in such a short time. My son was pinned down and protecting his girlfriend,” Teves said.
Sandy and Lonnie Phillips of San Antonio lost their daughter Jessica Gawhi Redfield in the massacre.
Lonnie Phillips had hoped for a man-to-man chat with Flake. It didn’t happen but he said Flake should be impacted when he see the petitions.
“I don’t know what kind of man he is. He might fluff it off. But if he’s any type of man he will take heed.”
Sandy Phillips said she’s not disappointed or surprised that Flake wasn’t there.
“Because our leaders take the easy way out whenever they can.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets