PHOENIX — Gun-control supporters delivered more than 150,000 signed petitions to the Phoenix office of Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) Friday morning.
Among the dozens of people calling for universal background checks and bans on assault weapons and extended ammo magazines were Tom and Caren Teves, of Phoenix. Their son Alex was killed in the Colorado theater massacre last year.
Flake was out of the office, which is near 24th Street and Camelback Road. Staffers accepted the petitions.
Tom Teves refuses to mention the name of the man who killed his son using a weapon of war. Teves said his son would have likely survived if the shooter hadn’t been armed with an extended-ammo clip.
“He could fire so many bullets in such a short time. My son was pinned down and protecting his girlfriend,” Teves said.
Sandy and Lonnie Phillips of San Antonio lost their daughter Jessica Gawhi Redfield in the massacre.
Lonnie Phillips had hoped for a man-to-man chat with Flake. It didn’t happen but he said Flake should be impacted when he see the petitions.
“I don’t know what kind of man he is. He might fluff it off. But if he’s any type of man he will take heed.”
Sandy Phillips said she’s not disappointed or surprised that Flake wasn’t there.
“Because our leaders take the easy way out whenever they can.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas