Northern Arizona tourism areas have decided to stay open despite a landslide shutting down a nearby highway.
According to a release, the Feb. 20 incident on US 89 closed direct routes to the tourism regions of Marble Canyon and Lake Powell in Page. The Arizona Department of Transportation deemed traffic flow between Bitter Springs and Page took precedence in order to aid an area that accommodates over two million visitors per year.
The primary detour route to Page and the Lake Powell area is to travel east from US 89 on US 160 (Tuba City exit) for approximately 50 miles and northwest on State Route 98 for 65 miles, which is approximately 45 miles longer than the direct route. The route is marked as “US 89 Detour.”
While US 89A remains unaffected by the road closure, ADOT began an investigating into the landslide as the first step to developing the best long-term solution for the highway.
Roy Boughton, the executive director of the Page/Lake Powell Chamber of Commerce, explained that the community has rallied regardless of the sudden economic predicament.
“The landslide that inhaled US 89 has really energized the people of Page,” said Boughton. “The first reaction was surprise. There seemed to be some negativity or worry about it. Then people start to get together and they are repeating words like ‘make lemonade.'”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development