Northern Arizona tourism areas have decided to stay open despite a landslide shutting down a nearby highway.
According to a release, the Feb. 20 incident on US 89 closed direct routes to the tourism regions of Marble Canyon and Lake Powell in Page. The Arizona Department of Transportation deemed traffic flow between Bitter Springs and Page took precedence in order to aid an area that accommodates over two million visitors per year.
The primary detour route to Page and the Lake Powell area is to travel east from US 89 on US 160 (Tuba City exit) for approximately 50 miles and northwest on State Route 98 for 65 miles, which is approximately 45 miles longer than the direct route. The route is marked as “US 89 Detour.”
While US 89A remains unaffected by the road closure, ADOT began an investigating into the landslide as the first step to developing the best long-term solution for the highway.
Roy Boughton, the executive director of the Page/Lake Powell Chamber of Commerce, explained that the community has rallied regardless of the sudden economic predicament.
“The landslide that inhaled US 89 has really energized the people of Page,” said Boughton. “The first reaction was surprise. There seemed to be some negativity or worry about it. Then people start to get together and they are repeating words like ‘make lemonade.'”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets