PHOENIX — Metro Phoenix mayors met with the White House’s top drug-control enforcer, Gil Kerlikowske, Thursday for an update on
Kerlikowske, U.S. drug policy director, said headway has been made along the border and that more drugs, money and guns are being seized.
“That’s critical in cutting off the head of the snake, which is the Mexican drug cartels,” he said.
Drugs took center stage in the roundtable but other issues were discussed including border security and how comprehensive immigration reform is critical to the economies of Arizona and Mexico.
“Whenever anybody tells you that there is a quick and easy answer to a complex problem, they’re usually wrong,” Kerlikowske said. “It’s critical that we fix the immigration system so law enforcement can protect the people within their jurisdiction and create the pathway to reform. Common sense changes that are desperately needed.”
Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers heads up the League of Cities and said whether someone is in her city or Mesa or other Arizona communities, they’re are all border cities.
“We need to see the border as a gateway to our economic vitality and putting away the fear is critical to this state and the nation,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier