PHOENIX — The Pinal County Sheriff’s Office has racked up 15 search-and-rescues in the Superstition Wilderness in the past two weeks and it’s taxing the budget.
Sheriff Paul Babeu said that total usually covers three months and he’s concerned.
“The mountains are less forgiving than just about anywhere else. Bring more water than you expect you’ll need in case you get lost,” he said.
Being unpreppared to deal with the rugged Superstitions is the top reason the rescue numbers have climbed, Babeu said.
“People having heart attacks, people from other states [who] don’t know what they’re getting into.”
Babeu said the rescues are taking a bite out of his budget at a time when money is already tight.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development