PHOENIX — The 13th Annual Phoenix Film Festival kicks off Thursday night at the Harkins Scottsdale 101 Theaters located at 7000 E. Mayo Blvd.
The festival will begin with a cocktail party benefiting the organization’s educational program and then a screening of “The Spectacular Now”.
The eight-day event with feature over 140 different screenings, and will be highlighted by three world premieres (“Favor”, “Down and Dangerous” and “Music City USA”) Friday night and a special showing of “Underdogs” at 7:00 p.m. Saturday night.
Actors D.B. Sweeney, Natalie Imbruglia and Melora Walters are also scheduled to make appearances at the Saturday night screening.
This year, Phoenix Film Festival Director Jason Carney said the event will feature a new wrinkle.
“We are doing homegrown screenings,” Carney told KTAR. “It’s all filmmakers from Arizona or who grew up in Arizona and moved on. That happens all day on Saturday, and we have a whole theater dedicated to that. It’s one of the cooler new things we’re doing this year.”
While a lot of the festival’s buzz takes place over the weekend, Carney believes movie fans can find plenty of quality films throughout the week.
“The weekend is when the craziness happens, and throughout the week is where we sprinkle in some new content,” said Carney. “Our closing movie is called “Stuck in Love” with Greg Kinnear, Jennifer Connolly, Kristen Bell and a great cast. That’s how we end the festival, with a cool little movie like that. I encourage people to come check it out. It’s a great way to discover new films.”
The Phoenix Film Festival is open to the public, and tickets range in price from $12 for a single screening to $300 for a platinum pass.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns