PHOENIX — Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema rolled up her sleeves and got to work Wednesday packing some of the 30,000 emergency food boxes St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance distributes monthly to the state’s hungry population.
It’s an issue that hits close to home for her.
“When I was a kid, my family was homeless,” said Sinema. “I was one of those kids who didn’t always have enough food. We relied on food boxes.”
Sinema met the president and CEO of St. Mary’s Food Bank, Beveryl Damore, at the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference in Washington D.C. last month. Sinema wanted a chance to see St. Mary’s operations up close and take part in a team-building event.
“I want to make sure we are creating a society where families won’t need food boxes, but until then, when families are struggling, I want to make sure that they know their government is here to help them,” said Sinema.
Sinema urged residents who are in a position to give to donate their time and food to help Arizona’s hungry population.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.