PHOENIX — Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema rolled up her sleeves and got to work Wednesday packing some of the 30,000 emergency food boxes St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance distributes monthly to the state’s hungry population.
It’s an issue that hits close to home for her.
“When I was a kid, my family was homeless,” said Sinema. “I was one of those kids who didn’t always have enough food. We relied on food boxes.”
Sinema met the president and CEO of St. Mary’s Food Bank, Beveryl Damore, at the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference in Washington D.C. last month. Sinema wanted a chance to see St. Mary’s operations up close and take part in a team-building event.
“I want to make sure we are creating a society where families won’t need food boxes, but until then, when families are struggling, I want to make sure that they know their government is here to help them,” said Sinema.
Sinema urged residents who are in a position to give to donate their time and food to help Arizona’s hungry population.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night