PHOENIX — Arizona Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema rolled up her sleeves and got to work Wednesday packing some of the 30,000 emergency food boxes St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance distributes monthly to the state’s hungry population.
It’s an issue that hits close to home for her.
“When I was a kid, my family was homeless,” said Sinema. “I was one of those kids who didn’t always have enough food. We relied on food boxes.”
Sinema met the president and CEO of St. Mary’s Food Bank, Beveryl Damore, at the National Anti-Hunger Policy Conference in Washington D.C. last month. Sinema wanted a chance to see St. Mary’s operations up close and take part in a team-building event.
“I want to make sure we are creating a society where families won’t need food boxes, but until then, when families are struggling, I want to make sure that they know their government is here to help them,” said Sinema.
Sinema urged residents who are in a position to give to donate their time and food to help Arizona’s hungry population.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon