Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda all saw gains in March in the Valley.
Car sales nationwide reached the highest level since August 2007, not long before the nation’s economy went into a deep recession. March is typically strong for auto dealers because of people putting tax refunds into a new vehicle, but Scott Gruwell with Courtesy Chevrolet said at least part of the big boost in sales can be traced to the housing recovery because construction companies that have been babying some old trucks are now more willing to spend money on a new one.
“We have seen a substantial amount of contractors replacing vehicles that are frankly worn out. Construction is starting to move again.”
Some of the trade-ins have 200,000 miles.
Gruwell said Ford 150s, Chevy Silverados and Dodge Ram trucks are leading the way in sales across the Valley.
Autodata said 1.5 million cars and trucks were sold nationally in March, 3.4 percent above March 2012. Gruwell said his sales are up by 12 percent from last year and by almost 300 percent from March 2009.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America