The financial crisis had at least one positive effect: it influenced almost half of Americans to start emergency savings, according to an article by Time.
Even as the economy starts to improve, nearly half of those surveyed by Fidelity said they are still saving more, reducing debt and building an emergency fund.
Of those who have made financial changes, 78 percent say they are permanent because they created a new finance strategy. The increased financial changes have left those saving feeling less scared.
When the crisis first hit, 64 percent of people said they were frightened and 45 percent said they were prepared. Now, 61 percent say they are prepared, while only 45 percent say they are scared.
Those surveyed came from households with investments. On a broader scale, the findings may not be so positive, according to the Time article.
Some indicators show savings have declined. Either way, just as the Great Depression inspired financial frugality for years, the recession may have had a similar effect.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food