PHOENIX — U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said Tuesday that a comprehensive immigration reform bill he is working on with a bipartisan group of senators will include a temporary worker program covering more than agriculture.
“In particular, we feel here in Arizona that in construction, not just agriculture, we have a need for foreign workers,” Flake told an Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry luncheon.
Flake said the so-called Gang of Eight hasn’t signed off on any deal yet but is working to balance job opportunities for Americans with the need for foreign workers who can fill low-wage, low-skill jobs.
“What we’ve tried to do is have a system that meets the needs of employers and the labor community,” he said.
Flake said the immigration bill would provide an expedited path toward citizenship for those in the agriculture industry.
“If people stay in the agriculture sector, there would be a slightly different process for them,” he said. “As far as details, that’s as far as I’ll go.”
Flake said the bill will be written in the next week and introduced in the coming weeks in the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which he and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., also part of the Gang of Eight, are members.
He said he expects disagreements on the temporary worker plan.
“There are going to be a lot of people who are going to be unhappy about the guest worker element, but that may just mean we have a bill that can actually pass,” he said. “We’ll hopefully be able to move it through the process.”
Flake said passing an immigration reform bill in both the House and Senate could create other opportunities for bipartisan legislation.
“I hope that if we can get agreement on immigration that that will show to the country that Washington can agree on a few things,” he said. “If we can tackle an issue as thorny and as tough as this issue then maybe we can get together on a long-term budget deal.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.