PHOENIX — If you haven’t filed your taxes yet, one financial planner said that’s actually a good thing.
“Let April 15 come and go,” said Financial Planner Jason Vanclef, president and CEO of VFG Securities.
Vanclef said filing an extension provides peace of mind.
“1099s, partnership tax statements, come in late, they’ve become unreliable,” he said.
Another reason is the workload accountants and other tax professionals are carrying this time of year.
“From March to April, they are doing at least 50 returns a day,” said Vanclef. “Is that the really the state of mind of someone you want working on your return? We always suggest our clients to take a rough estimate of their income for the year, do a simple calculation, let your accountant know what that is, pay it and relax.”
Vanclef suggested returning at the later part of June, or first part of July when your accountant is refreshed, relaxed and has an open schedule. According to Vanclef, they are likely to focus 100 percent of their attention on you and less likely to make errors.
Finally, a theory floating around the financial industry suggests filing an extension is a great idea, if you want to avoid being audited.
“Just talking to hundreds of CPAs, it’s believed that IRS agents have quotas and they fill their quotas by April and they have potentially less incentive after that time,” Vanclef chuckled.
If you plan on filing an extension, do it by April 15. You’ll have six months to file.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.