PHOENIX — Researchers at the University of Arizona are creating a special pair of socks that could help head off diabetic ulcers.
The SmartSox are being developed by the Department of Surgery’s Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance. The group received more than $2 million in research grants from the Qatar National Research Fund to conduct the three-year study.
“They look like ordinary socks,” said Dr. David G. Armstrong, a podiatric surgeon and director of the alliance. “The only difference is that substituting some of the threads are actually these really super thin fiber optics.”
Armstrong said the technology is able to detect when an ulcer might develop in the foot, which is a common problem for diabetics, and often results in an amputation.
“The vast majority of these things are preventable, and so the impetus for these SmartSox is to try to identify these problems before they ever show up.”
The price tag for the socks is $70,000.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.