PHOENIX — Researchers at the University of Arizona are creating a special pair of socks that could help head off diabetic ulcers.
The SmartSox are being developed by the Department of Surgery’s Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance. The group received more than $2 million in research grants from the Qatar National Research Fund to conduct the three-year study.
“They look like ordinary socks,” said Dr. David G. Armstrong, a podiatric surgeon and director of the alliance. “The only difference is that substituting some of the threads are actually these really super thin fiber optics.”
Armstrong said the technology is able to detect when an ulcer might develop in the foot, which is a common problem for diabetics, and often results in an amputation.
“The vast majority of these things are preventable, and so the impetus for these SmartSox is to try to identify these problems before they ever show up.”
The price tag for the socks is $70,000.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy