PHOENIX — Researchers at the University of Arizona are creating a special pair of socks that could help head off diabetic ulcers.
The SmartSox are being developed by the Department of Surgery’s Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance. The group received more than $2 million in research grants from the Qatar National Research Fund to conduct the three-year study.
“They look like ordinary socks,” said Dr. David G. Armstrong, a podiatric surgeon and director of the alliance. “The only difference is that substituting some of the threads are actually these really super thin fiber optics.”
Armstrong said the technology is able to detect when an ulcer might develop in the foot, which is a common problem for diabetics, and often results in an amputation.
“The vast majority of these things are preventable, and so the impetus for these SmartSox is to try to identify these problems before they ever show up.”
The price tag for the socks is $70,000.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development