PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines, which flies out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, has pulled the plug on flights to Honolulu starting in mid-August.
Jessica Wheeler with the airline said a dip in demand is behind the suspension of flights The last flight is scheduled Aug. 14.
Wheeler said there was no timetable on when the flights could resume but it could possibly happen during the holidays.
“We have the flexibility to ramp up our flights when people want to travel,” Wheeler said. “When they don’t we cool it down a bit and that’s one way that we keep our fares low year-round.”
The “seasonal suspension” will cut flights to Hawaii from Boise, Idaho; Eugene, Ore.; Fresno, Stockton and Santa Maria in California; and Spokane, Wash.
Brian Sexton with Phoenix Mesa Gateway said the airport was not notified by the airline about the decision to scrap the Hawaiian route.
Allegiant began service to Hawaii with a flourish in early February.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon