PHOENIX — Allegiant Airlines, which flies out of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, has pulled the plug on flights to Honolulu starting in mid-August.
Jessica Wheeler with the airline said a dip in demand is behind the suspension of flights The last flight is scheduled Aug. 14.
Wheeler said there was no timetable on when the flights could resume but it could possibly happen during the holidays.
“We have the flexibility to ramp up our flights when people want to travel,” Wheeler said. “When they don’t we cool it down a bit and that’s one way that we keep our fares low year-round.”
The “seasonal suspension” will cut flights to Hawaii from Boise, Idaho; Eugene, Ore.; Fresno, Stockton and Santa Maria in California; and Spokane, Wash.
Brian Sexton with Phoenix Mesa Gateway said the airport was not notified by the airline about the decision to scrap the Hawaiian route.
Allegiant began service to Hawaii with a flourish in early February.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths