PHOENIX — They’ve worked hard their entire lives, but unfortunately for millions of seniors, their golden years are tarnished by poverty.
“We estimate that 8.3 million seniors face the threat of hunger every single day,” said Mary McNamara of Meals on Wheels Association of America. “That number is growing because baby boomers are turning 65 at a rate of about 10,000 per day.”
Across the board sequester cuts have impacted programs like Meals on Wheels, an organization dedicated to feeding the country’s hungry, homebound elderly.
“The sequester that went into effect March 1 was a 5.1 percent cut to Title 3 funding through the Older Americans Act, the primary funding mechanism for Meals on Wheels,” said McNamara.
The percentage represents a $40 million hit to the organization.
“That works out to about $1 million in Arizona,” said McNamara. “The impact can take many forms — we could cut services — but all of them will impact the Arizonan economy.”
While the organization determines where the money will come from, there is a very real possibility that 375,000 meals are at risk here in Arizona.
“Get involved. Contact your local Meals on Wheels program and donate or volunteer. You can also contact your representative and ask them for increase funding for Older Americans funding,” said McNamara.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.