PHOENIX — They’ve worked hard their entire lives, but unfortunately for millions of seniors, their golden years are tarnished by poverty.
“We estimate that 8.3 million seniors face the threat of hunger every single day,” said Mary McNamara of Meals on Wheels Association of America. “That number is growing because baby boomers are turning 65 at a rate of about 10,000 per day.”
Across the board sequester cuts have impacted programs like Meals on Wheels, an organization dedicated to feeding the country’s hungry, homebound elderly.
“The sequester that went into effect March 1 was a 5.1 percent cut to Title 3 funding through the Older Americans Act, the primary funding mechanism for Meals on Wheels,” said McNamara.
The percentage represents a $40 million hit to the organization.
“That works out to about $1 million in Arizona,” said McNamara. “The impact can take many forms — we could cut services — but all of them will impact the Arizonan economy.”
While the organization determines where the money will come from, there is a very real possibility that 375,000 meals are at risk here in Arizona.
“Get involved. Contact your local Meals on Wheels program and donate or volunteer. You can also contact your representative and ask them for increase funding for Older Americans funding,” said McNamara.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl