PHOENIX — Leaders at Phoenix’s largest airport are planning to expand in three construction phases over a five-year period.
The first, to start next year, would expand security checkpoints at Terminal 3. It would be completed by mid-2015.
The second phase at Terminal 3 would expand ticketing and baggage claim, concessions and passenger loading and unloading areas. It’s scheduled to be finished in late 2017.
The final phase would add nine gates to the south concourse at Terminal 3. When that’s finished in 2019, Terminal 2 would close.
In 2011, Sky Harbor served about 40 million passengers. In 2019, the airport expects to serve 51 million and in 2025, passenger count is expected to be about 58 million.
The $500,000 price tag would be covered by airport revenue: Fees paid by passengers and airlines and money from restaurants, shops and parking.
The Phoenix City Council is expected to vote on the plan Wednesday.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life