PHOENIX — Leaders at Phoenix’s largest airport are planning to expand in three construction phases over a five-year period.
The first, to start next year, would expand security checkpoints at Terminal 3. It would be completed by mid-2015.
The second phase at Terminal 3 would expand ticketing and baggage claim, concessions and passenger loading and unloading areas. It’s scheduled to be finished in late 2017.
The final phase would add nine gates to the south concourse at Terminal 3. When that’s finished in 2019, Terminal 2 would close.
In 2011, Sky Harbor served about 40 million passengers. In 2019, the airport expects to serve 51 million and in 2025, passenger count is expected to be about 58 million.
The $500,000 price tag would be covered by airport revenue: Fees paid by passengers and airlines and money from restaurants, shops and parking.
The Phoenix City Council is expected to vote on the plan Wednesday.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy